Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day to Day

Such freedom is found in knowing that my walk with God is about the day-to-day living and interaction with Him, not about achieving some sort of “spiritual level” in life. It really takes a weight off my chest, letting me breathe again after I've weighed myself down with the pressures and anxieties of task-based Christianity. I'm saved by faith, not by works. Sometimes I still feel like I have to do certain things. Nope. I don't. Of course, there are spiritual disciplines to pursue, and I want to move towards the things that draw me closer to God and give me greater knowledge of and intimacy with Him. But I am already saved and justified by Christ's blood. Can't add to that.

Funny how doing things for people can be driven more out of wanting to be a certain type of person rather than a love for people or for God. Once you realize you're still not that person, that kind of kindness fades quickly. Needs to be for Him, with strength from Him.

Also, I'm seeing over time how God has been changing me into the man I'd rather be, but am unable to be on my own. Still don't like the time lag. But it's His timing (and to some degree a factor of my own willingness) that determines this path before me, and what lies behind. If I truly view these scant years on this Earth as preparation for eternity, which is something I cannot possibly prepare myself for, then the pressure is off of me and on the Lord. And He's someone I can trust to get the job done.

Micah 6:8 “He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

Philippians 1:6 “...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment