Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I forgot to be thankful

(See “What’s my aim?” for some context)

I feel bad for God in the sense that those He loves on SO much, so easily forget to be thankful. And (unfortunately) I think we sometimes only “remember” when something “bad” happens.

For instance, in the example of my stuffy nose, once I recognized that something wasn’t quite right, I realized how my sinuses had been very healthy for a long time…but I never thought to be thankful for that. Not until there was a problem, that is. I’m never as grateful for the health I have until I’m laying in bed with a fever feeling miserable; then do I realize all the amazing days I’ve felt fine.

“You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

If you’re ever stuck in your prayer life (something too familiar to me), spend some time thanking God, especially for the little blessings. Trust me, when you look for them, you won’t run out of things for which to offer thanks!

And as a side note, I’ve found that when I’m really mad at something/someone, offering up thanksgiving (for the circumstances, the person, whatever) can really do a number on your heart and attitude (certainly no secret; there's plenty of scripture about that). No need to force it, though; if you can’t see it, ask God to show you the blessing in the situation. It’s there.

Ps 100:4
“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment